1 cup black rice (forbidden rice)
2 cups water
1 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup coconut flakes
3-4 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
2 small size Asian mangos
1. Soak the rice in water for 1 hour
2. After the soaking period is over, put 2 cups water, 1 cup coconut milk and rice in the pan and let it boil on the stove for a few mins until boiled.
3. Lower the heat to lowest level and let it cook for 40 – 45 minutes.
4. Pre-heat the oven 350 F
5. In the last 10 minutes of cooking, add sugar and salt.
6. Put coconut flakes on small oven tray and let it roast/bake. It roasts quickly. Check it often. When it turns to light brown, take them out (about 5-7 mins).
7. Pour the rice mixture in a serving plate, add coconut flakes and chopped mangos on top. Let it chill in the fridge. If you like it juicy, add coconut milk while serving. Enjoy!
Recipe & image by Melahat Doker