This easy dessert recipe was passed down to me by my mom. I recall how she used to make it every Eid (religious holiday) without fail. Using just four ingredients, this dessert is definately one for a special occasion. You’ll want to make it the night before since it’s oven baked, takes a while, and needs to be served chilled. It tastes great however and is well worth the effort! By the way, “Mitta” and “Mishti” both mean sweet. The difference is in the dialect.
1 large pot of plain full fat or low fat yogurt
1 can carnation milk
4 tablespoons of sugar
Full fat milk
1. Stir the yogurt well with a spoon breaking away any lumps that may have formed.
2. Transfer to a large pirex or other oven proof dessert dish.
3. Add 1 can of carnation milk and then using the same can as the measurement for the milk, add 1 can of full fat milk. Add 4 tablespoons of sugar and check for sweetness. Add more sugar if you like it sweeter. Stir well.
Note: It is recommended that you use full fat milk so that the yogurt sets nicely. Non-fat or skimmed milk will only make the dessert watered down and perhaps even crack when you go to serve it. (I learned the hard way)!
4. Place in the oven on the lowest setting possible for 4-5 hours. When done, switch the oven off and leave in oven so the yogurt sets nicely. Do NOT stir again.
5. Place in fridge overnight and serve chilled.
Recipe submitted by my Mother