Recipe featured in “American Lifestyle” Magazine – Dec/Jan 2011
Ingredients: (Makes 2 large bowls. Increase ingredients for more servings)
3 tablespoons of Quinoa
1/2 can of Italian tomato sauce or any type of canned tomatoes of your choice.
3 cups of water
Spices: 2 tsp ground cumin, 1 tsp ground pepper, 1.5 tsp salt, 1 tsp chilli powder.
Handful of chopped cilantro/coriander leaves
1/2 tsp finely grated ginger
3 tablespoons of chopped spring onions
3 tablespoons of diced green pepper
4 tablespoons of sweetcorn kernals
3 tablespoons of diced carrots
3 tablespoons of diced celery
1/2 lime (optional)
1. Soak Quinoa for 10 minutes to remove any bitterness.
2. In a separate pan, heat 3 cups of water and add sweetcorn, green pepper, carrots, celery, ginger and the canned tomatoes.
3. Add the spices as indicated above.
4. Drain the Quinoa and add to the soup.
5. Let the soup simmer for 20 minutes on low to medium heat. You will see the Quinoa “uncurl” when cooked.
6. Turn off the heat, add spring onion, cilantro/coriander leaves and lime juice (if using lime juice).
Recommendations: Best served immediately. Serve with crusty bread or cornbread for a real treat!
Recipe submitted by Payal Vithlani. Image by Sabina Huq.