2 vegetable stock cubes
2 cans chopped tomatoes
1 can butter beans
1 can red kidney beans
1 medium onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, grated/crushed
3 spring onions, finely sliced into rounds, including the leaves.
salt to season
half to one tsp chilli powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp cumin powder
10 mugs of water
chopped fresh coriander
1. Boil the mixed lentils in the water and add the salt and stock cubes
2. When the lentils are half cooked, add the rest of the ingredients apart from the coriander.
3. Boil up and then simmer for about an hour on medium heat with the lid on.
4. Mix in half the coriander and spring onion while simmering.
5. Garnish with the rest of the coriander before serving.
If you don’t have dried mixed lentils, just add one more drained can of a different bean in addition to the kidney beans and butter beans.
Recipe Submitted by Shakila Ahmed