Ingredients: (Serves 4)
1 can tuna
1 cup rice
1 green pepper
2 tablespoons plain yogurt
2 potatoes, each cut into 4 pieces (or canned potatoes if you’re in a hurry)
Handful of fresh coriander/cilantro
3 green chillies
1/2 tsp Garlic paste (or 1 fresh garlic clove)
1/2 tsp Ginger paste (or 1 inch piece of fresh ginger)
1-2 tablespoons of cooking oil
Spices: salt, 2 cardamoms, 1 cinnamon stick, cumin powder, coriander powder
1. Wash and drain the rice and allow to sit in a seive to dry up
2. Slice up one onion into thin slices resembling matchsticks
3. Prepare the potatoes by peeling, washing and cutting each potato into 4 pieces. If you don’t have the time to use fresh potatoes, use canned potatoes (about 5-6 potatoes. Cut them in half if you need to depending on the size of the potatoes since each can is different). Slice the green pepper into cubes.
4. In a non-stick pan, fry the onions really well until golden brown stirring frequently so you don’t burn them. Add 1/4 tsp salt (or 1/2 tsp depending on taste) and mix well.
5. In a bowl, mix 1 can of tuna (draining the water completely), 1/2 tsp ginger paste, 1/2 tsp garlic paste (if you don’t have the paste kind, use fresh and blend really well with 1/4 cup of hot water), 1/2 tsp cumin powder, 1/2 tsp coriander powder, and let sit for 5 minutes. By now, your onions should be almost ready.
6. Chop up one tomato and add to the browned onions. Fry for 2-3 minutes and add 2 cardamoms, and 1 cinnamon stick.
7. Add the tuna mixture to the pan and allow to fry for 3-4 minutes. Add the potatoes and green pepper and continue to fry for about 5 minutes.
8. Add 2 tablespoons of low fat yogurt and mix well.
9. Add the rice and mix well.
10. Add 1 and 1/2 cups of hot water and mix well.
11. Transfer to an oven proof dish or baking tray with enough depth to hold the rice and water and place in oven for 30 minutes on 350 degrees c. Alternatively, transfer to a rice cooker at this stage.
12. Decorate with fresh cilantro/coriander leaves and green chillies before serving.
Recipe submitted by Nowsheen Firoz