2 cups Quinoa
1 cup red lentils
Seasonings: 1 tsp salt (or to taste), ½ tsp turmeric, 1 tsp fresh cumin seeds
1 onion sliced finely
1 tbs oil
2 green chillies, slit in half
1. Soak the Quinoa and the lentils together in a bowl or pan for at least 15 mins to wash away the bitterness. Wash and drain well.
2. Fry the onions until brown.
3. Fry one tsp of fresh cumin seeds until slightly brown and then add ½ tsp of turmeric and 1 tsp of salt. Fry for one minute.
4. Add the Quinoa and lentils and fry for 2-3 minutes.
5. Pour into a rice cooker with 2-3 cups of water (just enough to cover the ingredients).
6. Once done, add the slit green chillies and serve hot.
Note: If you wish to add frozen peas or other veggies such as frozen chopped carrots, or green beans – you can add this to the rice cooker at the same time as the Quinoa and lentils.
Recipe by Saqui S. Huq. Image by Sabina Huq