If you fancy something different from plain old white rice, try this tasty alternative. It’s best eaten with shrimp but tastes just as good with chicken. Try it and see!
Click on image to enlarge
Ingredients: (Serves 4)
3 cups of plain white basmati rice
3/4 can of lite coconut milk
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup of frozen peas
Rice Cooker Method
1. Wash the rice carefully in the rice cooker or using a seive.
2. Transfer to the rice cooker and add 1/3 can of lite coconut milk (shaking or stirring it well first), 1/2 tsp of salt, 1/2 cup of frozen peas, and 1 regular sized mug of water.
3. Stir well and let the rice cooker do the work. Do not stir again.
Stove -top method
1. Wash the rice carefully in a pan or using a seive.
2. Add 1 mug of cold water, 1/3 can of lite coconut milk (shake or stir well first), a pinch of salt, and 1/2 cup of peas.
3. Turn the heat up and allow to boil for 12-15 minutes. Once you see that the water has started to evaporate, turn the heat down to a minimum and put the lid on. Simmer for about 5 minutes. When all the water dries up remove from heat.
Recipe & image by Sabina Huq