3 garlic cloves
Spices: 1/2 tsp Turmeric, 1 level tsp Cumin, 1 level tsp Coriander, 1/2 tsp Chilli powder, 1/2 tsp Salt.
1. Prepare fresh shrimp by cleaning and washing it, taking care to remove the shell, head and tails. If using frozen shrimp, simply soak in lukewarm water for 10-15 mins.
2. Dice the onion and the garlic and keep separate.
3. In a pan, heat up 1-2 tablespoons of oil and fry the garlic until almost brown.
4. Add the diced onion and fry until it browns.
5. Add all spices as above along with the salt. Fry for 1-2 minutes and then add 1/2 cup of water. Fry for a further 3-4 minutes until the mixture turns into a smooth paste/massala.
6. Add the shrimp and fry for 3-4 minutes until the shrimp turns pink.
7. Add sliced courgettes/zucchini and stir for 2-3 minutes until the massala covers the vegetables.
8. Cover with a lid, turn the heat down and let simmer for 10 minutes before removing from heat.
Recommendations: Enjoy with white or brown basmati rice or any type of desi bread of your choice. For a more wholesome meal, try it with wholewheat chappatti or wholewheat pita bread.
Recipe & image by Sabina Huq