1 packet of frozen Keski fish (found in most Bangladeshi stores)
1/2 an onion
3 cloves garlic
Handful of fresh coriander leaves
5 green chillies
2 tbs cooking oil
Spices: 3/4 tsp turmeric, 1/2 tsp chilli powder, 1/2 tsp cumin, 3/4 tsp coriander powder, 1/2 tsp salt or to taste, and a sprinkling of black pepper.
1. Defrost the packet of fish taking care not to make it mushy. Place fish in colander, wash and drain well until completely dry.
2. Heat oil in a non-stick pan and add finely diced onion. Fry until soft and almost brown.
3. Add the spices as indicated above and cook for 1 minute.
4. Add 1/2 cup of water and form a paste. Stir and fry for 2 minutes and then add finely chopped tomatoes. Stir-fry for a further 2-3 minutes.
5. Add the fish, stir-fry for 1-2 minutes until the water evaporates.
6. Cover with lid and allow to cook on low heat for 15 minutes. By now all the water should have evaporated.
7. 5 minutes before removing from heat, add slit green chillies and fresh coriander leaves.
Recommendations: Serve with hot rice of your choice.
Recipe submitted by Tasmeem. Image by Sabina Huq