One diced onion
crushed garlic (6-7 cloves)
Spices: ½ tsp chili powder, ½ tsp coriander powder, ½ tsp cumin powder, 2/3 tsp turmeric, salt to taste (1/2 tsp -1 tsp).
2 diced ripe tomatoes
1 inch chunks of soft veg like marrow, kodu (tastiest) or courgettes/zucchini.
One cup of peas
2 carrots thickly sliced
½ a cauliflower cut into medium florets
1 inch chunks of peeled new potatoes
Fresh coriander leaves
Couple of green chilies
1. Pre-soak half a cup red lentils at least for an hour.
2. Fry 1 diced onion in olive oil, add salt and quite a lot of crushed garlic (6-7 cloves).
3. When soft, add half a tsp each of chili, coriander, cumin and 2/3 tsp turmeric. Cook the spices on medium heat.
4. Add 2 diced ripe tomatoes and the drained lentils and cook on high for 5 mins, add half a cup of hot water then simmer (covered) for another 5-10 mins until soft.
5. While simmering, prepare your veggies. 1 inch chunks of soft veg like marrow, kodu (tastiest) or courgettes, a cup of peas, 2 carrots thickly sliced and , half a cauliflower into medium florets and 1 inch chunks of peeled new potatoes.
6. Add all the veggies into the simmering lentils, toss to coat and cook until water from the veggies and tomatoes comes out to soften the dish. Wash and roughly chop one third of a bunch of fresh coriander, stir half into veggies with 3-4 green chilies sliced lengthways.
7. Remove from heat and garnish with the other half of the coriander.
Recommendations: Serve with rice or roti of your choice.
Recipe by Shakila Ahmed