Ingredients: (Serves 3-4)
1 small onion
4 courgettes (termed zucchini in the US)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp coriander powder
Pinch of fresh cumin seeds
1-2 tbsp of olive oil
1. Prepare the zucchini/courgettes by slicing off the tops and bottoms. Wash well and slice. You want them to have a medium thickness (as in the image above).
2. Slice the onion finely and fry in hot oil.
3. As the onion starts to brown a little, add a pinch of fresh cumin seeds. Fry for 30 seconds.
4. Lower the heat and add the spices (salt, coriander and turmeric) and fry for 1 minute. Add 1/2 cup of water to form a bit of a paste.
5. Add the zucchini/courgettes and stir well. Pan fry for 10-12 minutes until cooked on medium to low heat. (Add 1/4 cup water if needed). Make sure the vegetables remain a little crunchy rather than mushy.
Recommendations: Enjoy with brown or white basmati rice and a side of lentil curry.